Building Second Chances: Tools for Local Reentry Coalitions
This toolkit is designed for local city, county, and community leaders who want to play an active role in improving reentry policy, practice, and outcomes. Within, you will find user-friendly references to seminal publications, research findings, and noteworthy examples of the foundational knowledge needed to design new reentry strategies and reinvigorate existing ones.
Changing Policy and Practice
This section will guide your local reentry coalition through the culmination of your efforts to understand and improve reentry in your community: changing policy and practice. In this section, you will be prompted to break the monumental task of policy and practice change down into manageable, actionable pieces.
This section covers:
- Develop priorities and goals for change. Take everything you’ve learned about the local reentry landscape to develop priorities for policy and practice change
- Collectively pinpoint the right mechanisms. Understand available options to select the appropriate mechanisms for each potential change
- Compile a strategic plan. Build on the priorities, goals, and change mechanisms and determine components of your strategic plan and the action steps
- Cultivate buy-in to enact policy and practice changes. Identify relevant decision makers and generate support from them as well as the people who will be affected by proposed improvements
- Monitor policy and practice implementation. Use data to understand the progress and impact of improvements and update your strategy and processes accordingly