Building Second Chances: Tools for Local Reentry Coalitions
This toolkit is designed for local city, county, and community leaders who want to play an active role in improving reentry policy, practice, and outcomes. Within, you will find user-friendly references to seminal publications, research findings, and noteworthy examples of the foundational knowledge needed to design new reentry strategies and reinvigorate existing ones.
After completing your reentry map in Section 1, in this section of the toolkit you will zero in on recidivism reduction. This section provides practical guidance for local reentry coalitions on how to understand and establish measures of recidivism, identify opportunities and align reentry strategies with practices that reduce recidivism, and track your ongoing impact.
This section covers:
- Determine what recidivism metrics to track. Understand what metrics to use to track recidivism in your community
- Establish a baseline recidivism rate and set reduction goals. Give your reentry coalition a solid basis for setting recidivism-reduction goals
- Focus resources on the people with the greatest needs who are most likely to recidivate. Ensure limited resources are used in ways that will have the greatest positive impact
- Use evidence-based practices. Employ programs and practices that research has shown to be effective.
- Track your progress. Track indicators of your progress along the way to ensure your coalition is heading in the right direction