Biden-Harris Administration Announces Comprehensive Strategy to Prevent and Respond to Gun Crime and Ensure Public Safety
On June 23, 2021, the Biden-Harris administration announced a comprehensive strategy to combat gun violence and other crime. The Administration's strategy is aimed at:
- Stemming the flow of firearms used to commit violence, including by holding rogue firearms dealers accountable for violating federal laws;
- Supporting local law enforcement with federal tools and resources to help address summer violent crime;
- Investing in evidence-based community violence interventions;
- Expanding summer programming, employment opportunities, and other services and supports for teenagers and young adults; and
- Helping formerly incarcerated individuals successfully reenter their communities
The announcement outlines each of these strategic elements as a call to action to lawmakers to end the gun violence epidemic.