Effective Practices: Removing Barriers to a Successful Reentry
April 4, 2022
This Second Chance Month 2022 event features representatives of five Second Chance Act grantees that have established innovative ways to enhance the reentry experience through standards of programming, practices, and policy changes that focus on: (1) identification credentials; (2) enrollment in insurance; (3) ongoing medical needs; (4) follow-up appointments to promote reentry success; and (5) reintegration into the family unit.
The grantee representatives discuss the implementation of these standards and also share what these processes look like if implemented properly. The panelists also identify typical partners that they have asked to join with them to implement these standards and highlight the importance of these to reentry success.
Moderated by the American Institutes for Research's Simon Gonsoulin, presenters include:
- Robert Vehock, Program Manager, and Rhett Covington, Assistant Secretary, Office of Reentry and Education Services, Louisiana Department of Corrections
- Crystal Speer, Programs Director, Kansas Department of Corrections
- Toby Savitz, Director of Programs, Family Pathfinders (Texas)
- Kristin Tiedeman, Program Manager/SUD Treatment Counselor, Mountain Comprehensive Care Center (Kentucky)
- Gunner Johnson, Reentry Manager, and Jamala Taylor, Los Angeles Reentry Coordinator, Insight Garden Program (California)