National Center for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention Seeking an Epidemiologist
How to Apply:
- USA Jobs - Recruitment for Epidemiologist GS-0601-13
- Internal Announcement: HHS-CDC-MP-23-11851668
- External Announcement: HHS-CDC-D-23-118522920
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is recruiting for an exceptional candidate for the position of Epidemiologist, Division of Viral Hepatitis (DVH), National Center for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention (NCHHSTP).
The mission of DVH is to bring together science and public health practice to eliminate disease and mortality caused by viral hepatitis. Populations who pass through correctional and detention settings are disproportionately affected by viral hepatitis. Effective tools exist to prevent and control viral hepatitis, yet the implementation of these interventions is underutilized in correctional and detention settings despite their potential for significant public health benefit.
DVH is seeking an Epidemiologist (GS13-601) to develop, promote, and facilitate activities to accelerate viral hepatitis elimination in correctional and detention settings. The incumbent of the position will report to the Clinical Intervention Team Lead located in the Prevention Branch of DVH.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The incumbent of this position will serve as a subject matter expert in correctional health and viral hepatitis and carry out the duties and responsibilities described below:
- Lead the development and management of projects that increase the capacity for viral hepatitis testing, diagnosis, treatment, and surveillance in carceral settings
- Provide technical assistance to jurisdictions implementing viral hepatitis elimination activities in their correctional systems
- Foster collaborative partnerships across CDC, other government agencies, and external partners to scale the viral hepatitis best practices in carceral settings nationally
- Support the implementation of viral hepatitis clinical interventions in other high impact settings covered by the Clinical Interventions Team
- Design, plan, and perform epidemiologic studies, surveys, and investigations to address strategic goals of the Division
- Perform data analysis of public health prevention data using CDC supported statistical packages
- Support systematic reviews of literature and guideline development for prevention and management of viral hepatitis
- Contribute to viral hepatitis outbreak responses as necessary
- Participate in Division, NCHHSTP Center and HHS work groups as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes and skills:
- Experience in infectious diseases and public health data analysis
- Excellent English written, interpersonal, and oral communication skills are essential
- Knowledge of viral hepatitis and correctional health is desired, but not required
- At least 2 years of experience in a position that requires design, implementation, presentation, and publication of epidemiologic research
- The ability to critically evaluate epidemiologic data, conduct epidemiologic analyses, write, and publish scientific papers, and present data at conferences
- Strong data management, analytic, and data science skills (SAS, R, PowerBI or similar software)
- A demonstrated ability to work on a team in an interdisciplinary environment
Percent of travel required: Approximately 10% or less including site visits, scientific meetings, and conferences.
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-12 level of difficulty and responsibility in the Federal service. In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description. Learn more about careers at NCHHSTP.