RECORDING: Ready, Set, Pell! How Corrections Leaders Are Approaching Prison Education Program Approval
November 14, 2023
Since the reinstatement of Pell eligibility for people who are incarcerated on July 1, 2023, states and local corrections agencies have begun the first step in implementing a prison education program (PEP)—building partnerships with colleges and providing initial program approval.
This webinar focuses on the strategies corrections leaders have pursued to solicit interest from colleges and universities, assess how their program might support students’ needs, and overall create the building blocks for a system of higher education in prison under reinstated Pell.
The webinar features leaders from state corrections agencies.
- Rebecca Silbert, Deputy Superintendent, Higher Education, California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation
- Mary Haynes, Manager of Continuing Education, Massachusetts Department of Corrections
- Malisa Kringle, Assistant Deputy Director of Programs, Nebraska Department of Correctional Services
- LaShetta Wilder, Director of Pre-release and Reentry, Mississippi Department of Corrections
- Kayla James, Senior Program Associate, Vera Institute of Justice