[RECORDING] From Corrections to Community: Navigating the New Medicaid Section 1115 Demonstration Opportunity Webinar
July 19, 2023
– 3 Eastern
The Department of Justice’s Office of Justice Programs (OJP) and the Department of Health and Human Services’ Center for Medicaid and CHIP Services (CMCS) have partnered to provide a webinar introducing correctional leaders and allied stakeholders to the opportunities available under the new Medicaid Reentry Section 1115 demonstration opportunity to support transition-related strategies, pre-release services, and community reentry.
Representatives from CMCS provide an overview and walk through key considerations included in the new guidance released in April 2023. Given the critical role of corrections in the development and implementation of this demonstration opportunity, representatives from OJP discuss the opportunities this presents for correctional leaders to increase pre-release planning and reentry services.
- Nancy Kirchner, Technical Director, Center for Medicaid and CHIP Services (CMCS), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Ruby Qazilbash, Deputy Director, Bureau of Justice Assistance, U.S. Department of Justice
- Hallie Fader Towe, Interim Director, Behavioral Health, The Council of State Governments Justice Center
- Identify key opportunities for covering pre-release services under the demonstration opportunity and how the demonstration can support continuity of care for individuals with physical and behavioral health needs during reentry
- Highlight potential benefits from the demonstration opportunity, including to corrections agencies and to people incarcerated and reentering into the community
This is the first of a two-part webinar series. Information about a follow-up webinar focused on building partnerships between corrections and key state entities, including Medicaid, during which representatives from states will discuss their experience in planning for this demonstration opportunity in their state, will be coming soon.