Building Student Leadership Opportunities During and After Incarceration
April 13, 2022
This webinar showcased how corrections education programs can create student leadership opportunities and promote student success. The webinar highlighted the work of current prison-based education programs to develop student advisory boards in prison, establish reentry navigators on college campuses, and work with formerly incarcerated people within student-led and other community-based organizations that support current students.
The webinar featured experts from the field such as SCA grantees, Second Chance Pell sites, and formerly incarcerated graduates or currently incarcerated students.
Moderated by Maurice Smith, Program Analyst with the Vera Institute of Justice, panelists for the event include:
- Terrell Blount, Director, Formerly Incarcerated College Graduates Network
- Danny Murillo, Smart Justice Fellow, Michelson 20MM Foundation (California)
- Brandon Warren, Director of Reentry, Lee College (Texas)
- Student Speaker, University of Maine at Augusta
- Student Voice Council, Washington State Department of Corrections