Using American Rescue Plan and CARES Act Housing Resources to Support Reentry: HUD and Community Perspectives
April 20, 2022
The American Rescue Plan (ARP) and Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act have provided a historic investment of housing resources to assist people experiencing or at risk of homelessness.
This webinar features a message from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) focusing on Secretary Fudge’s guidance encouraging communities to prioritize people in reentry for the 70,000 ARP Emergency Housing Vouchers available nationwide, as well as HUD’s continued efforts to increase housing opportunities in this area.
The webinar also features presentations from communities that have successfully deployed ARP and CARES Act resources to create new housing opportunities for people in the justice system.
- Richard Cho, PhD, Senior Advisor, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Ann Miller, Managing Attorney, Tribal Defender’s Office, Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes
Panel from Austin/Travis County, TX:
- Dylan Shubitz, Director of Intake and Special Programs, Housing Authority of the City of Austin
- Victoria Perez, Housing Manager, Housing Authority of Travis County
- Jennifer Sowinski, Clinical Operations Manager, Downtown Austin Community Court
- Melissa Shearer, Director, Office of the Travis County Mental Health Public Defender
- Charles Francis, Project Manager, CSG Justice Center